Why a Root Canal?
Root canals are necessary when a cavity that has been left untreated becomes larger. Once the cavity reaches the pulp of the tooth, an infection forms at the base of the root canal, causing an abscess. This abscess is generally painful and will need to be removed.
The doctors at Stanford Ranch Family Dentistry know that serious tooth decay can often require a root canal to solve the issue. A root canal may be needed if the decay has reached the tooth's nerve. Essentially, a root canal involves cleaning out a tooth's infected root, then filling and sealing the canal.
Root Canal Procedure:
1) An opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the pulp chambe
2) The pulp is removed, and the root canals are cleaned, enlarged and shaped.
3) The infected area is medicated.
4) The root canals are filled.
5) The crown opening is filled with a temporary.
If you are experiencing severe tooth pain, you may need a root canal. The only sure way to know is to call our Rocklin, CA dental office at 916-435-4222 and setup an appointment with Dr. Scorza.
Sometimes the infection persists even after root canal therapy. In these cases, an apicoectomy, or root end resection can be performed to remove diseased tissue.
1) An incision is made to allow access to the base of the tooth. The inflamed or infected pulp is treated and the canals are carefully cleaned and shaped.
2) A small filling may be placed in the remaining tip of the tooth to seal the root canal. The gum tissue is stitched back into place.
3) A crown is placed to protect the tooth.
A post and crown is used when there is not enough tooth structure left for retention after your root canal procedure to support a crown, a post will be placed upon the tooth root. Dr. Scorza will then make a crown buildup around the post. After that, a crown will be placed on the buildup.
If you live in the Rocklin area and are suffering from tooth pain, call 916-435-4222 and set up an appointment to have Dr. Scorza check your teeth and relieve your pain today. Don't suffer needlessly with tooth pain. Let the friendly staff at Stanford Ranch Family Dentistry help you smile again.
Our office provides smile makeovers to achieve the beautiful, natural look you seek. We can reshape your natural teeth to make them straighter and more youthful. Our office is easily accessible and makes it convenient to those living near Rocklin to get the care they deserve.
Make an Appointment
Call Us Today